The Times Are Changing. The Need To Protect Kids Is Not. 

CANNABIS BrowniesAs legislature changes around Marijuana usage, hospitals are seeing an increase in cases of children accidentally ingesting Marijuana products. Since THC—the psychoactive ingredient in marijuana — isn’t safe for children, this is posing new challenges for the healthcare community, and for parents alike. The dedicated pediatric emergency department at Stony Brook Children’s Hospital has experienced this increase first-hand, says Dr. Carl Kaplan, Interim Chief of the Pediatric Emergency Department. 


Edibles: Not a Treat for Kids

CANNABIS GummiesEdibles are of particular concern. Often packaged like any other type of candy, they’re naturally tempting for children. Young children can’t tell the difference and because they’re more prone to overdose, the harm can be considerable to kids who accidentally ingest THC. Overdose can result in significant nausea and vomiting, severe alterations in behavior and unresponsiveness leading to respiratory problems. In most severe cases this may require the use of a ventilator. As a result, taking precautions has become necessary for the community. 


Keep Edibles Under Lock and Key

Just as you wouldn’t leave an open bottle of alcohol within reach of your kids, the same logic should be applied to Marijuana products. Store all products on a high shelf, out of the sight and reach of children. For an additional layer of security, consider keeping products in a locked box. Going that extra mile now will help protect kids from potential health risks and the trauma of a bad experience.  


If you ever suspect that your child has consumed an edible product, immediately call the regional poison control center at 1-800-222-1222. If you feel your child is suffering a life threatening emergency, call 911 immediately.