A Huge Turn Out for Stony Brook Children's Open House
On Saturday, November 2, 2019 more than 1000 community members came to the Stony Brook Open House to celebrate the upcoming mid-November opening of our new children’s hospital. Among the many events of the day were tours of the new facility, interactive activities for kids and teens, choral performances by local schoolchildren, an art show and contest, safety demos, climb aboard an ambulance, meet a pet therapy dog, refreshments, giveaways and more.
As one of only 250 children’s hospitals in the country, and the only one east of the Queens/Nassau border, Stony Brook Children’s is dedicated to delivering care that addresses the unique medical and emotional care of children on Long Island and beyond. Our 180 pediatric specialists covering more than 30 specialties, along with our large support staff including a dedicated team of Child Life Specialists, are trained to understand, diagnose and treat children while simultaneously supporting their family’s needs.
Our new hospital was thoughtfully designed to accommodate the needs of young patients and their families, and to promote safety, well-being and healing.
Among the new hospital’s many special features are:
- All-single patient rooms, with pull-out beds for family members
- In-room refrigerators
- Colorful in-room lighting controlled by the patient
- A nurse’s station outside of each pair of patient rooms
- Bright, colorful nautical décor reflecting the hospital’s Long Island heritage
- Age-appropriate playrooms and a teen lounge
- A rooftop garden
- A fully-stocked Ronald McDonald Family Room with a television, computers, snacks, a shower room and laundry facilities, giving family members a place for respite
- A separate entrance, with a colorful lobby and elevators that only open on the pediatric floors
- A large, wall-sized screen in the lobby featuring live feeds from the Long Island Aquarium
- More than 200 original works of art
- Child-sized furnishings with whimsical colors and patterns
A special thank you to those who were able to attend our Open House. It was a pleasure to have you.
If you were not able to come, keep an eye out for other upcoming events.