Educating the Educators Conference
Turning the Page on Pain:
Supporting the Physical and Emotional Health
of Students with Cancer and Blood Disorders
Thursday, October 17, 2019 • 4:30 pm
Hilton Garden Inn Stony Brook
1 Circle Road
Stony Brook, NY 11794
To increase awareness of the physical and emotional needs of pediatric patients with cancer and blood disorders and their need for support in the school setting.
The participant will acquire important information:
- Overview of school intervention services in children with common pediatric cancers and blood disorders.
- Medical, psychosocial and educational issues related to the physical and emotional health of children diagnosed with pediatric cancers and blood disorders.
- Strategies for recognizing, understanding and managing the emotional pain experienced by children with cancer and blood disorders.
- Therapeutic interventions for reducing the negative effects of cancer and treatment, both during and post-treatment.
- Community and educational resources.
CONTINUING EDUCATION UNITS
*** 3.25 contact hours will be awarded. This continuing nursing education activity was approved by the PA State Nurses Association, an accredited approver by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation.
|4:30 pm||Registration Begins
Community Resources and Networking
|5:30 pm||Welcome, Dinner Served|
|6:30 pm||School Intervention Services… A New Chapter
Debra Giugliano, RN, MS, CPNP, CPONR
|6:45 pm||Turning the Page on Pain
Laura Hogan, MD
Associate Professor, Pediatrics
Rina Meyer, MD
Assistant Professor, Pediatrics
|8 pm||Beyond a Diagnosis: Managing the emotional and cognitive effects of cancer and its treatments on children and their families
Marie Barnett, PhD
|9 pm||Distribution of Attendance Certificates/Adjourn|