Part of the medical center's Program of Distinction in Neurosciences, our Child Neurology Division evaluates and treats patients ranging from newborns to young adults. We have the expertise, experience and technology to address the full gamut of neurological problems, including:
Epilepsy and seizure disorders
Guillain Barré syndrome
Stony Brook Comprehensive Epilepsy Center
Through the Stony Brook Comprehensive Epilepsy Center, we offer a uniquely focused approach to the diagnosis and treatment of children with seizure disorders. Our capabilities include:
- A five-bed dedicated video-EEG epilepsy monitoring unit (EMU) with 24/7 observation staff
- Portable video-EEG epilepsy monitoring capability that can be set up anywhere in the hospital where there is a patient experiencing possible seizures
- A multidisciplinary team, including renowned epileptologists, pediatric neurologists, neurosurgeons and neuropsycologist
- Multiple treatment options, including advanced surgical techniques
- Access to research, including clinical trials of new drugs and support and education services for patients and families
The Lourie Center for Pediatric MS
Established in 2002, The Lourie Center for Pediatric MS at Stony Brook Children's was the first multidisciplinary center dedicated to addressing the specific needs of pediatric multiple sclerosis patients in the United States. Today, it is one of six in the nation designated as a Center of Excellence by the National Multiple Sclerosis Society, which means it meets rigorous standards and offers an unparalleled depth and breadth of resources, including an international pediatric research program. Long Islanders are fortunate to have world-class care like this in their own community.
Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy Comprehensive Care Center
The opening of the Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy Comprehensive Care Center in 2016 marks a new era in the care of patients with muscular dystrophy. The center has modeled its approach to muscular dystrophy on the highest national standards for excellence in care. This model of care is based on precise diagnosis; coordinated, multidisciplinary teamwork; support and advocacy; rapid application of new, evidence-based knowledge; and identification of clinical trials to benefit patients.