The Pediatric Emergency Department cares from children from infancy though young adulthood with a full range of child-focused services that can address virtually any medical emergency.
Our separate entrance and waiting area — apart from the adult emergency area — protects children from potentially frightening adult emergencies. We even offer free valet parking so parents can remain with their sick or injured child.
We have nine private treatment rooms that protect patient privacy and accommodate the child and up to two family members, child-sized equipment, gowns, IVs, airway management tools and other medical necessities, and child-friendly décor, child-sized furniture and a waiting room stocked with toys, colorful artwork and an aquarium.
We also provide:
- Age-appropriate care that factors in the child's physical, social and emotional development
- “Ouchless medicine” through the use of various techniques to eliminate pain, including giving oral fluids instead of an IV when safe and appropriate; using special numbing cream on the child’s skin to greatly reduce pain from a needle; “bundling” all the painful tests, such as blood drawing and IV insertion, into one “stick,” and using special painkilling and sedative medications during more serious procedures, such as setting a broken bone — done under the direct supervision of a board-certified Pediatric Emergency Medicine physician
- Access to Child Life Services professionals who explain procedures in kid-friendly, age-appropriate terms, relieve anxiety and provide distraction.
- Child-sized equipment, gowns, IVs, airway management tools and other medical necessities
- Child-friendly décor, child-sized furniture and a waiting room stocked with toys, colorful artwork and an aquarium
- Free valet parking. We’ll take care of your car so you can take care of your child.