The Pediatric Pulmonary Division at Stony Brook Children's provides outstanding, family-centered, state-of-the-art care with compassion.
We work to educate the next generation of pediatricians and other health professionals, generate new knowledge about childhood respiratory disease, share our knowledge and expertise in childhood respiratory health, and advocate on behalf of our diverse patient population.
Pediatric respiratory diseases come in many forms — from Cystic Fibrosis and Sleep Apnea to Asthma, allergies, and Chronic Lung Disease — each needing a highly specialized approach to treatment. Through specialty centers and clinics, as well as with an active physician practice, the Pediatric Pulmonary Division at Stony Brook Children's provides expertise and a wide range of clinical services to appropriately and effectively address respiratory disease in infants, children, and adolescents.
Our accredited pediatric Sleep Center evaluates and diagnoses pediatric sleep disorders including obstructive sleep apnea, respiratory disorders, insomnia, parasomnias such as night terrors and sleepwalking, and behavioral problems relating to sleep.
The Cystic Fibrosis Center at Stony Brook Children's has been accredited by the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation since 1990. The center oversees the care of many patients, from birth through adulthood, and is one of only 130 Centers accredited by the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation.
Stony Brook Children's Pediatric Pulmonary Asthma Services
- The Pediatric Pulmonary Division at Stony Brook Children's include pulmonologists, nurse practitioners and certified asthma educators who provide expert asthma care for pediatric patients in both the Inpatient units and Outpatient offices.
- The SBC pulmonary teams:
- Offer asthma consultations with pulmonary specialists, clinical and diagnostic evaluations, care coordination and health management education services.
- Collaborations with primary care providers, other subspecialists, and multidisciplinary healthcare team members, including certified asthma educators, to offer high quality individualized asthma care, asthma protocols, asthma action plans, asthma education, and home management planning for children and adolescents with asthma throughout the continuum of their pediatric care from birth to 21 yrs of age.
- Patient and family health education, home management training and asthma provider referrals for transition to adult asthma care after age 21.
- Advocates and collaborators with the local LI Asthma coalition for improving asthma care for children & families in our community and Strive to meet the needs for asthma care of our diverse patient ad family populations.
- The SBC pulmonary team participate in and develop ongoing quality improvement initiatives with a focus on providing High Quality Asthma Care, and meeting the needs of the diverse SBC population.
(631) 444-KIDS (5437)
English or Spanish
The Pediatric Pulmonary team is led by Catherine Kier, MD, a highly respected physician/researcher/educator. She and other pediatric pulmonologists, Barry Diener, MD, Mathew Ednick, DO, Katharine Kevill, MD and Vicki Masson, MD, work with two pediatric nurse practitioners and a group of dedicated medical professionals to provide comprehensive, individualized care for patients starting with the initial assessment and diagnosis through setting a plan of treatment and performing interventions and follow-up care.
In addition to serving patients, all members of the clinical team are engaged in pediatric pulmonary research and education. Meet the team:
Patients are seen on an outpatient basis at the following locations:
600 Main Street, Suite A
For appointments, call (631) 444-KIDS.
500 Commack Road, Suite 104
For appointments: (631) 444-KIDS.
4 Technology Drive
For appointments:(631) 444-KIDS.
East Islip, NY 11730
For appointments:(631) 444-KIDS.
Stony Brook University Sleep Disorders Center
240 Middle Country Road, Suite A
For appointments: (631) 444-2500